I love this recipe because the slow cooker caramelizes the cheese and dough so an incredibly crispy crust forms around the edge of the pizza!
Technique tip: Store-bought pizza dough is best when proofed in an oiled bowl in a warm spot in the kitchen for at least 2 hours.
- 1 pound fresh jalapeño peppers
- 2½ cups water
- 2½ cups white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 pound prepared pizza dough (if refrigerated, let it rise in oiled bowl for 2 hours)
- 8 ounces sliced mozzarella
- 6 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- Pickled jalapeños (recipe above)
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced into ribbons
- Crushed red pepper flakes
For the pickled jalapeños:
Slice jalapeños on the bias into 1/4-inch thick slices. Rinse with cold water in a fine mesh strainer to remove a lot of the seeds and ribs (thus removing a lot of the heat). Set aside in a bowl or mason jar.
Heat remaining ingredients in saucepan until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat and pour brine into bowl over jalapeños or into mason jar. Let sit until color fades. Keep in fridge for up to 6 months if completely submerged.
For the pizza:
1. Pre-heat slow cooker on high for 20 minutes. Spray crock with cooking spray.
2. On a clean surface, stretch, roll and form dough into roughly same shape as the slow-cooker crock. The goal is a nice and thin crust. Place in cooker and spread out if necessary. Uncovered, cook on high for 1 hour, without toppings.
3. Shingle the mozzarella slices on the dough and about 1 inch above crust. Overlap each slice, moving in a clockwise circle to perimeter is covered. Place one more slice to cover empty spot in the middle, if necessary. Shingle a layer of pepperoni the same way you did the cheese. Then add a small layer of pizza sauce. Top with pickled jalapeños and sprinkle with Parmesan.
4. Cook on high for another hour or until cheesy crust is dark and caramelized and bottom crust is firm and brown. Carefully take out of crock using a spatula. Garnish with fresh basil and red pepper flakes.