Anchos and chipotles give this yummy dish a double dose of chile flavor. One is mild and fruity (ancho) and the other is hot and smoky (chipotle). Fresh corn tortillas are pureed with the tomatoes, broth and chipotles, which thickens into a silky, luscious sauce as it cooks.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons pure ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, rubbed
- 2 15-ounce cans pink beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes and their juices
- 2 chipotles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 corn tortillas, torn into large pieces
- One 14.5-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- Steamed rice, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro leaves, chopped onions and tortilla chips, for serving
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in two batches, over moderately- high heat, about 8 minutes per batch. Return all of the chicken to the skillet. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, ancho chile powder and oregano. Cook over moderate heat until the onions are softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker and stir in the pink beans and hominy.
2. In a blender, combine the diced tomatoes, chipotles, tomato paste, tortillas and broth. Puree until smooth. Add the mixture to the skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up any bits stuck to the pan. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Serve over rice with cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips and chopped onions.
Grace Parisi is a New York City-based food writer, cookbook author and food stylist. Her book, Get Saucy, was nominated for a James Beard award. Her latest book, Quick Pickles comes out in Spring 2016. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter.