Developing this recipe — a riff on the French bistro classic — taught us a thing or two about how the slow, steady, moist heat of the slow cooker really intensifies flavors. When we tried the traditional 40-clove recipe, the garlic flavor was so strong, we cut the number in half (and we love garlic!).
- 8 whole chicken legs (about 4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs thyme
- Crusty bread, for serving
1. Preheat a 5-to 6-quart slow cooker; preheat oven to broil.
2. Place chicken skin side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub oil onto skin and season generously with salt and pepper. Broil until skin is brown in places. Transfer chicken to the slow cooker. Add garlic, lemons and thyme. Cover and cook on high until meat is tender and cooked through, about 2½ hours (or on low for 5 hours).
3. Serve with braised garlic, cooking liquid and bread.
Reprinted with permission of Martha Stewart's Slow Cooker: 110 Recipes for Flavorful, Foolproof Dishes (Including Desserts!), Plus Test-Kitchen Tips and Strategies by Editors of Martha Stewart Living, Clarkson Potter. Copyright © 2017.