- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15.5-ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound beef chuck
- 1 12-ounce bottle lager beer
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Kosher salt
- Grated Cheddar cheese, sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
This slow cooker chili couldn’t be easier — there’s very little prep work, and it’s truly a set-it-and-forget-it recipe. A chopped chipotle pepper adds a subtle, smoky heat that’s mellowed by the lager beer that simmers along with the rest of the ingredients. Soy sauce may seem like a surprising addition to chili, but it gives the dish a rounder, meatier flavor.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine the diced tomatoes and their juices, beans, beef, beer, garlic, onion, tomato paste, soy sauce, chopped chipotle, flour, cumin, chili powder and a pinch of salt. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours until the beef is tender. Taste for seasoning and serve with Cheddar, sour cream and cilantro.