Delight the kids this Halloween with an easy make-at-home slushie using everyone's favorite rainbow-colored candy. They'll have a hard time picking just one flavor to try!
(Created by TODAY with our sponsor Skittles.)
- One 14-ounce bag original Skittles
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 ⅔ cup lemon juice, divided
- 1 bag ice
- 1 bottle seltzer water, 2 liters
1. Separate the Skittles by color into 5 separate Mason jars.
2. In a saucepan, stir together sugar and water and simmer over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. The mixture should be clear, not cloudy.
3. Remove the sugar syrup from the heat and pour 1/5 portion into each of the jars. Let them cool slightly. Secure lids onto jars, shake and let it sit for several hours or overnight. Before you make your slushie, shake each jar again and strain. Each color will yield roughly 1 ¼ cups Skittles syrup.
4. For each candy color, add 6 cups of ice to a blender, the Skittles syrup and 1/3 cup lemon juice.
5. Blend until fully combined. Mixture will be a slushie, not chunky consistency. Pour into glasses (for a fun twist, try serving in food grade-safe chemistry beakers), stir in a splash of seltzer water to get some bubbles and serve.