Delicious comfort food meets healthy salad and together make a happy meal.
- Chop onions/mushrooms/celery. Can be done up to 3 days ahead.
- Season beef with soy sauce, ketchup, Dijon mustard, garlic powder and black pepper. Can be done up to 1 day ahead.
- Make vinaigrette. Whisk red wine vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat for onions. Add cooking oil and then add onions with a sprinkle of salt. Saute for 8 to 10 minutes, until very tender. If the pan ever looks too dry, add a splash of liquid. Add red wine vinegar and sugar.
- Saute for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return skillet to burner and heat over medium-high heat. Add ground beef to heated pan, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Brown for about 5 minutes.
- While meat is browning, start to toast your bread.
- Fold mushrooms into beef and saute mushrooms until tender.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper or any of the other ingredients.
- Make the salad. Toss celery and baby kale with vinaigrette.
- Layer toast with beef and mushrooms and caramelized onions. Eat with a fork and knife!
Source: Cook Smarts