Oysters are an elegant way to kick off any date night. They are simple yet impressive, and completely delicious — especially when topped with hot horseradish, spicy cocktail sauce and savory mignonette.
Technique tip: Keeping the oysters on ice will ensure they stay fresh and perfectly chilled.
- 12 oysters, cleaned and freshly shucked
- 1/4 cup red or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely diced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup cocktail sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Crushed ice, for serving
1. Whisk together vinegar, shallot and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour into a small ramekin.
2. Place cocktail sauce in another small ramekin.
3. Place horseradish in your third small ramekin.
4. To serve, coat plate with crushed ice and place shucked oysters on top. Put 3 ramekins in center with tiny spoons or forks. Garnish with lemon wedges.