These mini tarts are classically delicious with juicy apples and hints of warm cinnamon and nutmeg. They are not overly sweet, so the salted caramel sauce provides the perfect touch and gives them a modern twist. But my favorite part, they are mini and individual, which makes them the perfect dessert to serve at a big family Thanksgiving.
Technique tip: Leftover caramel sauce can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Simply reheat in the microwave on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Swap option: To save time, you can use a store-bought caramel sauce or skip it entirely and just serve your tarts with vanilla ice cream!
Special equipment: Mason jar lids.
- Ten 3½-inch canning jar lids and rings
- Nonstick cooking spray
- One 14.1-ounce package refrigerated pie crusts
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Salted caramel sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
For the tarts:
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the jar rings on a baking sheet, and place the lids inside with the rubber seal facing down. Lightly grease each lid and ring with cooking spray.
2. Roll out 1 piecrust to a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; cut 5 circles using a 4½-inch round cutter. Repeat with the remaining piecrust. Place 1 cutout piecrust circle in each prepared jar lid, and gently flute the top.
3. Place the apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl, and stir to combine. Gently stir in the melted butter. Place about 1/2 cup of the mixture in each prepared pie shell.
4. Bake until the crust is golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Cool in the pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes, and then gently lift out of rings. Serve warm, or cool completely.
For the salted caramel sauce:
Bring the cream to a light boil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add the brown sugar, and cook, stirring often, until dissolved and the mixture is smooth, 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the butter, vanilla and salt. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Serve the tarts warm with the salted caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream on the side.