Combining shrimp with miso is one of my favorite pairings, and serving it with tender, stir-fried veggies, lightly scrambled eggs and crispy rice makes a beyond tasty dinner.
Technique tip: For some extra spice, sprinkle red pepper flakes on top.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound raw peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 cup diagonally sliced sugar snap peas
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups cooked white long-grain rice, chilled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, miso paste and 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until the miso paste dissolves. Set aside.
2. Place the shrimp in an even layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the salt and black pepper. Bake until they turn pink, about 5 minutes.
3. Combine the eggs and milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over high. Add the egg mixture, and cook, stirring occasionally to produce large curds, until almost done, about 1 minute. Remove the eggs from the wok, and chop into 1/4-inch pieces.
4. Add the peas, bell pepper and onion to the wok, and cook, stirring often, until slightly charred, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring often, about 1 minute. Add the soy sauce mixture, bring to a boil, and cook about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl.
5. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil in the wok. Add the rice, and cook on high, stirring often, until just brown and crispy, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the shrimp, egg and vegetable mixture, and stir to combine. Sprinkle with the cilantro, and serve immediately.
Excerpted from Siriously Delicious by Siri Daly. Copyright © 2018 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Meredith Corporation. New York, NY. All rights reserved.
TODAY has affiliate relationships, so we may get a small share of the revenue from your purchases. Items are sold by the retailer, not by TODAY.