What can be better than this: buttery, flaky pastry crust full of sweet, gooey strawberry jam and drizzled with delicious icing? Nothing. Nothing can be better. This is breakfast (or dessert, snack time, anytime) at its finest.
(Created by TODAY with our sponsor, Smucker’s Natural Fruit Spread.)
Technique tip: Poking a few holes in the center of each pocket will help to release air during the baking process and prevent a strawberry jam explosion.
Swap option: If you're short on time, use store-bought pie crust.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 16 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Sprinkles (optional)
1. To make the pastry crust, first combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter, and stir together (using a pastry blender or your fingers) until it resembles a coarse mixture. Add the water slowly, and continue to mix until a dough forms. Roll into a large ball and then divide in half. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll out half of dough into slightly larger than 10- by 12-inches, and then trim down to exactly 10- by 12-inches. Using a sharp paring knife, cut into eight 3- by 5-inch rectangles. Repeat with other half of dough.
3. Gently place 8 rectangles on your baking sheet. Spoon 2 tablespoons of jam into center of each pastry. Top with second set of pastry rectangles. Using a fork, gently seal the edges while also making a decorative exterior. With same fork, poke a couple of holes into center of each pocket. Place baking sheet in fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Once ready, bake pockets for 25-30 minutes, until golden.
5. While pockets are cooling, in a bowl whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Once pockets are cooled, spoon (or drizzle) icing over each. If using, top with sprinkles.