Grilled vegetables are one of my favorite summer sides, especially when they're on skewers because it makes then so easy to eat!
Technique tip: If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 15 minutes prior to using them so they don't burn on the grill.
Swap option: Feel free to try any veggies that are easy to grill. Eggplant and corn work well, too!
Special equipment: Metal or food-grade wooden skewers.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 yellow squash
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup whole mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Wash and cut the veggies into 1-inch chunks, so they're roughly the same size. This will ensure more even cook time.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and jerk seasoning. Add the chopped veggies and stir to coat.
3. Skewer the vegetables, alternating types for color. Reserve any remaining marinade to brush over veggies during grilling.
4. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill skewers roughly 10-12 minutes, turning them at least once so you get a nice char on all sides. Brush more marinade on the veggies during the grilling process.
5. Place skewers on a serving tray and sprinkle with fresh cilantro and more salt, if desired.