One of my favorite things to do after Christmas dinner is to prepare a breakfast casserole with all the leftovers for the next morning. It couldn't be easier to cube some meat, roughly chop some vegetables and even utilize your leftover bread for a yummy, cheesy egg dish that all can enjoy the next day.
Technique tip: Buttering the dish prior to baking ensure nothing sticks.
Swap option: This dish is very versatile and you can experiment with all sorts of different veggies, meats and cheeses.
- 1½ cups bread, roughly torn into small pieces
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- 2 cups assorted cooked vegetables, roughly chopped (like broccoli, onions, asparagus, sweet potatoes, etc.)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Butter for greasing pan
1. Generously butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
2. Whisk together eggs, milk, cheese, ground mustard, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Place bread, ham and veggies in casserole dish, and then pour egg mixture on top. Use a spatula to make sure everything is evenly coated.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover dish and bake for 45 minutes. Let sit about 10 minutes before serving.