- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (preferably a variety of legs and thighs)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for grill
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
I love anything with spice and a subtle hint of sweetness, for me and Carson jerk chicken masters that flavor combo. This particular recipe is easy to pull together for any summer barbecue.
Technique tip: Where gloves or use tongs when working with the pepper, it is VERY hot. Be careful not to touch your eyes, either, and wash your hands thoroughly after you've prepped them.
Swap option: For a leaner meal, use chicken breasts.
Combine everything but the chicken in a blender or food processor and pulse until combined.2.
Place the chicken in a large, zip-top bag and pour jerk marinade on top. Keep in the refrigerator for at least one hour, but preferably overnight.3.
Lightly coat grill grates with oil and preheat to medium-high heat.4.
Grill chicken until nicely browned on all sides, about 15-20 minutes. Then lower the heat, cover grill, and cook for another 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.