There's nothing better than a pot of chili simmering on the stove ... especially when it's really easy to make! This soup is creamy, comforting, and always a hit with my family. It's satisfying for any cold night but light enough for spring dinner, too.
Technique tip: Adding the flour before the chicken broth will help thicken your chili.
Swap option: You can always swap ground chicken for ground turkey or beef. You could also omit the cream if you want this to be dairy-free.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Two 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Two 4.5-ounce cans chopped green chiles
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- Shredded cheddar
- Tortilla chips, crumbled or whole
- Sour cream
- Green onions
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onions and carrots and sauté for 5-7 minutes or so. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add the ground chicken and cook for another 7 minutes or so, until chicken is no longer pink and starting to brown.
3. Add the salt, cumin, pepper and flour. Stir for about a minute or so.
4. Add the canned beans, green chiles and stir to combine.
5. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Right before serving, stir in the cream. Serve hot and top with desired toppings!