My mom kicks off our holiday season with this recipe every Thanksgiving, but it's perfect for any holiday. It's a unique dish because it combines traditional salsa ingredients with festive cranberries. The tart fruit pairs perfectly with the buttery, smooth avocado, and because it's red and green, it's the perfect holiday dish!
Kitchen equipment required: I love using a citrus juicer when I need fresh lemon or lime juice.
Technique tip: Slice avocados in half length-wise and using a sharp paring knife, dice length-wise and then horizontally to cut into cubes. Then scoop out avocado pieces with a fork.
Swap option: If you're not a fan of cranberries, strawberries would work well and still offer a red and green effect.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 jalapeño, minced (seeds removed if less heat desired)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 ripe avocados, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup halved cranberries, drained well on paper towels
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
1. In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, jalapeño and red onion.
2. Add the avocados, cranberries and cilantro. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Serve with pita crisps or tortilla chips.