Eating with your hands is always more fun! These lettuce wraps are so easy to make but still have a fancy dinner feel to them. They make a great appetizer or even a main dish served alongside white or brown rice.
Swap option: You can swap the ground chicken for ground turkey or beef.
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped water chestnuts
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 12 large Bibb lettuce leaves
- One 3-inch piece English cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- Sriracha chile sauce (optional)
- Roasted salted peanuts, chopped (optional)
1. Heat the ginger, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until the garlic begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper and water chestnuts and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, 3-4 minutes. Remove from the skillet, and set aside.
2. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 6-8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings in the skillet. Return the chicken and bell pepper mixture to the skillet.
3. Stir in the soy sauce, lime juice, honey, fish sauce and remaining 1 tablespoon oil and cook until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the chicken, 2-3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
4. Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in each lettuce leaf. Divide the cucumber evenly among the lettuce leaves. Drizzle with Sriracha (if desired), and sprinkle with peanuts and other toppings before serving. Enjoy!