I love this recipe for deep-fried shrimp toasts because it seems much more technically challenging than it actually is.
Swap option: You can also use the shrimp farce as a filling for egg rolls or mini tarts.
Shrimp farce (shrimp spread)
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced ginger
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons seeded and finely diced Serrano chili
- 1 pound rock shrimp
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 Granny Smith apples, julienned
- 1 cup crushed peanuts
- 1 cup shaved celery
- 2 diced avocados
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 slices
- 4 ounces shrimp farce per slice (recipe above)
- Apple salad (recipe above)
- Oil for frying, such as peanut or vegetable oil
1. Lightly sauté (or "sweat") the garlic, ginger, scallions, shallots and chile. Transfer ingredients to a parchment-lined baking sheet and transfer to refrigerator until cool.
2. Combine all farce ingredients in food processor until thoroughly combined.
3. Spread 4 ounces of shrimp farce on each piece of bread. In a pan or tabletop fryer, heat enough oil to cover the toasts to 350°F. Submerge the toasts in the oil shrimp side down until golden brown. Flip and continue to fry until bottom is golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
4. In a bowl, combine all salad ingredients and mix well.
5. Cut each slice into 4 triangles and top with a small amount of the salad.