- 6 pounds raw, shell-on shrimp
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 3/4 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups oil
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 5-ounce jar fresh horseradish
- 1 5-ounce jar hot Creole mustard
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
This recipe is a New Orleans classic at its finest. It features all the bold and zesty flavors for which the Big Easy is famous.
Place shrimp in a large pot and cover with water. Add bay leaves, celery seed, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes until shrimp are pink. Drain and peel.
In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Stir in the peeled shrimp, and then cover and refrigerate. Serve with toothpicks or on crackers.