Caesar salad pairs well with almost anything added on top. It's great with chicken, bacon and steak, but my favorite way to serve it is with grilled jumbo shrimp.
Technique tips: Don't overcook the egg by using a timer and make sure the garlic sits long enough with the salt so that it is soft. Don't rip the lettuce until you are ready to serve
Swap option: This salad taste just as delicious with grilled chicken or lobster.
- 1 English muffin
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 cup olive oil
- 6 to 8 crisp leaves romaine lettuce
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped anchovy
- 1/8 cup English muffin croutons
- 1/8 cup grated Grana Padano
- 4 tablespoons Caesar dressing
- 3 grilled shrimp (recipe linked above)
For the Caesar dressing:
1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
2. In a bowl, mash the garlic with a few pinches of salt until the mixture becomes soft and smooth.
3. Whisk the mustard and olive oil into the garlic paste.
4. Place the egg into the boiling water for 15 seconds.
5. Crack the egg into the bowl with the oil mixture and whisk vigorously until thick. Taste and adjust seasoning. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the croutons:
1. Preheat oven to 250 F.
2. Cut the English muffin into cubes and spread on a baking sheet.
3. Put into the oven and cook until dry and crisp. Be careful not to burn them.
For the salad:
1. Rip salad leaves by hand.
2. Toss all ingredients, except for the shrimp, in a bowl.
3. Place salad mix on plate.
4. Arrange grilled shrimp around side of the salad.