This creamy, dreamy macaroni and cheese proves that going overboard can be a good thing. The generous amounts of milk, heavy cream and two delicious cheeses make this dish absolutely irresistible.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded American cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups orecchiette pasta
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a medium saucepan at medium heat, melt the butter.
2. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and stir until well-combined. Add the ground mustard and garlic powder and mix well.
3. In another saucepan at medium heat, combine the milk and heavy cream and bring to a simmer.
4. Once milk is hot, pour slowly into the flour mixture and combine with a whisk until smooth. Cook at medium-low heat until it thickens to a sauce-like texture, 5-8 minutes.
5. Add the shredded cheeses slowly and stir until melted and well-combined.
6. Cook the pasta in salted water as instructed by the package.
7. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and reserve some of the cooking water and combine pasta with the sauce until well-coated.
8. If sauce is too thick, you may adjust with a splash of the reserved pasta water. Adjust with salt and pepper, to taste.