Sheinelle made this once for Thanksgiving and it was a big red mess, all running together. It looked awful, but still tasted great! The sweet strawberries, tropical pineapple, tangy sour cream and crunchy nuts cover all the flavor and texture bases you want in a great dish.
"My mom makes this and we eat it as a salad AND as a dessert cause it’s so yummy. You’ll see," says Sheinelle.
- One 6-ounce package strawberry Jell-O
- 8 ounces frozen sliced strawberries, thawed
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- One 14-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 8 ounces sour cream
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the Jell-O on 2 cups of boiling hot water.
2. In a small bowl, toss the strawberries with a few teaspoons of sugar to lightly coat.
3. Add the strawberries, mashed banana, pineapple and chopped nuts to the gelatin mixture and stir to combine.
4. Pour half of the mixture into an 8- by 8-inch serving dish. Place in the refrigerator until set.
5. When the first layer is set, remove from the fridge and evenly spread the sour cream over the gelatin mixture. Pour the remaining gelatin mixture over the sour cream. Cover the dish and place in the refrigerator to set completely.