This salad is quick and easy to make, and it's a nice side dish to a grilled steak or pork chops. Long, curling ribbons of zucchini are shaved with a vegetable peeler and dressed with lemon, olive oil, honey, mint and basil, with Parmesan and hazelnuts sprinkled on top.
Technique tips: A Y-style peeler makes it easy to shave zucchini into ribbons. Don't worry if the ribbons vary in width; this adds to the visual appeal of the dish.
Shave the zucchini last-minute, right into the serving bowl, to keep it crisp. Don't dress the salad until you are ready to serve. The zucchini and herbs are delicate and quickly wilt.
Swap option: Toasted sliced, slivered or chopped whole almonds can be used in place of the hazelnuts.
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons juice (1 lemon)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound zucchini (2 medium)
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, finely grated (about 1 cup), plus shaved to serve
- ½ cup lightly packed mint leaves, torn
- ½ cup lightly packed basil leaves, torn
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, oil, honey, salt and pepper. Set aside. Holding each zucchini by the stem, use a Y-style peeler to shave the zucchini from top to bottom into ribbons; rotate the zucchini as you go, and stop shaving when you reach the seedy core. Discard the cores.
Whisk the dressing to recombine, then add the shaved zucchini, grated cheese, mint and basil and toss. Gently toss until evenly coated. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with shaved Parmesan and hazelnuts.