This healthy raw salad is a lovely light addition to a Thanksgiving menu. Look for carrots in different colors to make the salad even prettier.
- 8 ounces (about 2) baby carrots, shaved
- 4 ounces baby zucchini (about 2), shaved
- 8 ounces (about 2) yellow squash, shaved
- 2 ounces hearts of palm, shaved
- 4 ounces Apple-Walnut Vinaigrette (see below)
- 4 ounces toasted walnuts
- 1 bunch Thai Basil
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 shallot
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon hot water
For the salad: Mix all ingredients except toasted walnuts in salad mixing bowl. Place salad on four cold serving plates. Top with toasted walnuts.
For the vinaigrette: Slice shallot and apple, then saute with apple cider vinegar. Reduce the mixture completely, add hot water and blend until smooth. Add egg yolk, then incorporate oil into desired consistency. Add walnuts and salt, and blend, leaving walnuts chunky.