- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound broccoli florets, washed, shaved thinly on a mandolin
- 1 medium sized carrots, shaved thinly on a mandolin
- 2 small radishes, shaved thinly on a mandolin
- 1/4 red onion, shaved thinly on a mandolin
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Whether it’s cooking for the First Family or preparing a menu for a State Dinner, I always start by going down to the White House Kitchen Garden to see what’s ripe. Thanks to the mild winter, we still have broccoli and lettuce growing and they serve as the foundation of this seasonal salad paired with healthy whole wheat crepes.
For the Chive Crepe:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and the flours for a few minutes. Incorporate the milk, water and the melted butter. Add chives and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to rest for at least an hour.
Heat a small non- stick pan and add some butter to coat. Pour an ounce of the batter into the center of the pan and swirl to coat evenly. Cook for about half minute and turn for a few seconds. Lay flat on a pan to cool. Cook the remainder of the batter until done.
For the Broccoli Salad:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, lime zest, lime juice, honey, mustard and red pepper flakes. Incorporate the olive oil by whisking into the mix slowly. Add the broccoli, carrots, radishes and red onion. Set aside.
In a platter, arranged the leaves and fill in with the broccoli salad. Sprinkle with chopped cashews, fresno pepper and cilantro chiffonade.