Up the flavor ante on fried chicken sandwiches with melty cheese, tangy barbecue sauce and thinly sliced ham on a buttery, toasted bun.
- 1 cup plus one tablespoon seasoned flour, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium chicken breast
- Canola oil
- Brioche bun
- 3 thin slices ham
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- Mustard barbecue sauce
1. Whisk 1 tablespoon of seasoned flour with the water in a shallow dish. Set aside.
2. Divide the remaining seasoned flour in two shallow dishes. In one of the dishes, drizzle in 1 tablespoon of the water/flour mixture. Mix so you have little clumps for texture.
3. Bread the chicken in the following order: dredge in the flour only, then dip into the flour/water mixture and lastly dredge in the moistened flour mixture.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a heavy skillet with about 1/4-inch canola oil to 325°F.
5. Fry chicken breast for 3 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
6. Butter and toast the bun. Place the ham in a pan and top with the cheese. Place the pan in the oven until the ham is warm and the cheese is melted.
7. Place the bottom bun on a plate, top with 1 ounce barbecue sauce, the fried chicken, ham and cheese, and finish with the top bun.