These crispy, coconut-coated chicken tenders pair perfectly with the sweet and spicy citrus dipping sauce.
Coconut Chicken Tenders
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups liquid eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 10 chicken tenderloins
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes
- cooking oil
Spicy Florida Citrus Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup chili-garlic sauce
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 cups honey
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
For the coconut chicken tenders:
1. Mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with shredded coconut and set aside.
2. Mix liquid eggs with water and set aside.
3. Season the tenderloins with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Gently toss tenderloins in the remaining cornstarch; set aside until all tenders are coated.
5. Dip coated tenders into egg wash, then dip into prepared coconut-cornstarch mix.
6. Heat an electric skillet to 350 F and add cooking oil. Fry coated tenders, a few pieces at a time, for 5 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
7. Remove tenders from pan and drain excess oil.
8. Sprinkle toasted coconut flakes liberally over tenders and serve hot.
For the spicy Florida citrus dipping sauce:
Mix chili-garlic sauce, lime juice and honey. Top with red pepper flakes and serve alongside chicken tenders.