- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 cup sweet corn, cut from the cob or frozen kernels
- 1 cup okra, sliced
- 2 cup cooked butterbeans, lima beans or black eyed peas, liquid reserved or canned*
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 1/2 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon - 1 lb. lobster, shrimp, crabmeat and/or scallops, cooked and cut into bits (optional)
In a large saute pan, melt two tablespoons butter over a medium flame and add the shallots.
Cook gently, without browning for 2-3 minutes.
Add the corn and saute 3-4 minutes, still over a medium flame.
If the pan seems dry, add 1/4 cup water.
Season well with salt and pepper.
Add the okra, butterbeans and 1 cup of the bean liquid (you can make up the difference with water if you need to).
Bring this mixture to a simmer and cook until the okra is tender, about 3 minutes more.
To finish, stir in the tomatoes, dill, seafood, lemon, hot sauce and remaining butter.
Taste for seasoning adding salt, pepper or more lemon as necessary.
*Canned beans are an acceptable substitute for fresh-cooked beans.
Be sure to rinse them well before adding to the pot and use chicken stock, vegetable broth or water in place of the bean's canned liquid.