Smoky chorizo meatballs are a wonderful foil to the ocean fresh sweetness of the shrimp and clams in this satisfying stew.
Technique tip: Once the clams open, cook for one minute longer at most.
- 1-2 ounces milk
- 1 ounce panko breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo, casings removed
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 8 fingerling potatoes, cooked and sliced into rounds
- Chorizo polpette (recipe above)
- 2 tablespoons julienned shallots, caramelized
- 1 tablespoon garlic soffritto (recipe above)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 8 medium shrimp, peeled, cleaned and halved
- 1 pint clams, soaked and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
For the chorizo meatballs:
In a small bowl, mix the milk and panko together. Squeeze out excess milk, then add in the chorizo and garlic and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Roll into small meatballs and set aside.
For the garlic soffritto:
Combine the garlic and oil in a cold pan and heat gently till garlic starts to sizzle. Cook till garlic is softened, but do not brown. Stir in the thyme and red pepper flakes and remove from heat.
In a pot, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and chorizo polpette, season with salt. Sear until potatoes chorizo are browned.2.
Add the shallots, garlic soffritto, lemon zest and chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil.3.
Add in the shrimp and clams and cover. Cook until the clams have opened and the shrimp are opaque.4.
Once all the clams have opened, finish with parsley and a drop or two of lemon juice.