This recipe is a great way to reuse leftover cornbread for breakfast. It achieves the prefect crunchy yet tender waffle texture. You can top them with your favorite breakfast items like a sunny-side-up egg or country gravy.
Hot Maple Syrup
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 cups leftover cornbread (recipe linked above)
- 1 cup cooked country sausage
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- Nonstick cooking spray
For the hot maple syrup:
Mix together hot maple syrup ingredients. Set aside.
For the waffles:
1. Preheat waffle maker.
2. Mix warm cornbread with sausage, eggs, diced green onions and milk. If mixture looks dry, add a little more milk.
3. Spray waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Spoon mixture onto the bottom plate of waffle maker. Make sure you cover most of the iron plate. Close and let cook according to waffle maker directions.
Serve waffles warm with hot maple syrup.