Change up your usual stuffing routine with this rice-based recipe. Nutty wild rice and fluffy Arborio rice add great flavor and texture to this savory sausage and mushroom-studded side. It's so good, you might want to gobble it up as a main dish the next day!
Technique tip: This recipe can be prepped up to step 6 one day ahead. Just cover and refrigerate and return to room temperature before baking.
- 1½ cups wild rice
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- Low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 ½ pounds sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Nonstick cooking spray
1. Cook the wild rice in chicken stock according to package directions. Set aside.
2. Cook Arborio rice in chicken stock according to package directions. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F.
4. In a large, nonstick skillet, brown the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool slightly, and then coarsely chop.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in the skillet. Add the onions, celery and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until translucent. Remove from skillet and set aside in a large bowl.
6. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then add mushrooms to the onion mixture.
7. In the bowl with the onion and mushroom mixture stir in both rices and sausage and season again with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley, eggs and bay leaf and mix well.
8. Coat a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the stuffing into the prepared dish, cover and bake for 20 minutes.