I love this recipe because the creaminess of the squash pairs perfectly with the flavorful sausage.
Swap option: You can switch out what types of sausage you use or try pumpkin instead of butternut squash. Plus, you can roast a squash and use that instead of frozen if you like.
- 1 pound sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed (optional)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- One 12-ounce box frozen butternut squash, defrosted
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 handful chopped basil (optional)
1. Over medium-high heat, brown your sausage until cooked through and crumbly. Add in your onions and garlic and sauté about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the pasta and cook to al dente according to package directions.
3. Stir the fennel seed into your sausage and add in the stock and scrape all the little bits off the bottom. Simmer over low heat a minute or two.
4. Whisk the flour and milk into the sausage for a minute to create the sauce. Stir in the defrosted squash and cheese. Reduce heat to low and let everything simmer together about 5 minutes.
5. Drain the pasta and add to the sausage mixture and stir until well combined. Top with basil (if using) and serve.