There might not be any food truly as comforting, warming and wonderful as perfectly, buttery, fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes. They pair well with almost any protein and are always a welcome addition to any holiday meal.
Technique tip: Be careful not to over-mix or the potatoes will become gummy.
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 1½ cups light cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- salt, to taste
- 1 sprig rosemary, to garnish
1. Put the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Put the pot over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and put over low heat for 3 minutes to dry the potatoes. Mash them with a potato masher.
2. While the potatoes are boiling, combine the cream, butter and sour cream in a pot over medium-low heat. Heat to a simmer, turn off the heat and let steep 10 minutes.
3. Slowly add the heated cream and butter to the potatoes and mix in with a wooden spoon or a hand mixer until all the cream is incorporated. Season with salt to taste. Garnish with rosemary sprig.