This sweet, simple frosting is always perfect for spreading and piping onto any kind of cake or cupcake. It reminds me of the rich frosting my grandma used to make.
Swap option: It's OK to use unsalted butter with a pinch of salt. Use whatever flavor extract you have on hand if you'd like a different taste, such as maple or lemon.
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1. With a hand mixer or a dinner fork and fortitude (aka a lot of elbow grease), combine softened butter, vanilla and cream.
2. Add powdered sugar gradually. Mix until frosting is smooth and creamy.