I love making this frosting as a base to frost any number of cakes. It's smooth, creamy and works well with a variety of different flavorings, from rich chocolate to sweet strawberry.
Technique tip: If you are making two or three cakes at a time, just double or triple the recipe and then divide into bowls so you can switch up the flavor.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1. With a hand mixer, combine butter, cream cheese, vanilla and cream.
2. Add powdered sugar gradually, about 1/3 cup at a time.
3. Mix until smooth and creamy.