- 2 Italian frying peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves picked (about 2 ounces)
- 5 bunch garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 pound beef shank, bone-in
- 1/2 pound chorizo, sliced
- 4 cup water
- 1 cup green plantain, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup medium diced potato
- 1/2 cup medium diced celeriac
- 1 cup avocado
Make the sofrito by placing the Italian frying peppers, red bell pepper, onion, garlic and cilantro in the container of electric blender or bowl of food processor.
Cover and blend or process about 20 seconds, or until coarsely chopped.
Carve the beef off the bone and cut into 1-inch cubes, reserving the bones.
Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a heavy-bottomed large pot.
Season the beef with salt and pepper.
Add the beef cubes and bones and brown on all sides.
Add the reserved pepper mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the chorizo and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Cover with water and simmer for 2 hours, adding the plantain, potatoes and celeriac toward the last half hour.
Add more water if the stew becomes too thick.
Discard the bones and divide the stew between six warmed bowls.
Garnish with avocado slices over each bowl.