- 4 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 4 cup torn lettuce leaves, such as romaine, radicchio, and other mixed greens
- 2 cup red delicious apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup store-bought spicy or hot peanuts
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded queso chihuahua or monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup prepared ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
Combine all the ingredients except the dressing and barbecue sauce in a large bowl and toss to mix well.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until chilled.
Meanwhile, combine the ranch dressing and barbecue sauce in a small bowl.
Cover and refrigerate.
Serve the salad with the dressing on the side.
Variations:Add or substitute other favorite ingredients, such as different nuts, dried fruits, and various cheeses.
Substitute queso añejo (crumbly white Mexican cheese) or feta cheese for the queso Chihuahua.
Any kind of cooked chicken can be used: broiled, roasted, grilled, or barbecued.
Add sliced jalapeños for spiciness.