This is a flavor-bomb most reminiscent of Southern Italy that I crave all the time. The combination becomes addictive. I've even been known to use leftover sauce for my eggs in the morning as well.
Technique tip: This is a great way to use anchovies you've had in the fridge from that one recipe you made a few weeks ago.
Swap option: You can swap out green olives for the black olives.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 anchovies (preferably stored in oil)
- 10 black olives, pits removed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup capers
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can peeled Italian tomatoes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 5 large basil leaves, torn
Add garlic cloves, anchovies and black olives to a blender or food processor and pulse until slightly chunky.
Then, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil and add the garlic-anchovy-olive paste, the capers and dried oregano. Cook until paste begins to dissolve in the oil slightly, about 1 minute, then add the tomatoes with 1 cup of water. Lower the heat to a simmer and let the sauce simmer for 2 hours, adjust for seasoning, add the basil and reserve. When serving, toss with pasta and drizzle with olive oil.