IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes

RATE THIS RECIPE
(43)
Fried salmon and sweet potato patties
TODAY Illustration / Getty Images
RATE THIS RECIPE
(43)

Ingredients

  • 10 ounces raw, fresh center-cut, skinless salmon filet
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams (about 1½ cups flesh)
  • 1 green onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
  • 1 pinch sea salt
  • 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup chickpea panko, plus more as needed
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • Chef notes

    I love these salmon cakes because they are easy to make, great for meal prepping, filled with healthy ingredients and are so, so flavorful. The sweet potato acts as a binder so there's no egg needed, and chickpea panko keeps these tasty bites totally gluten-free.

    Technique tip: If you are making large patties for burgers, then cook them on each side for 3-5 minutes, then place the burgers on a baking tray lined with parchment to bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes to ensure they are adequately cooked through.

    Swap option: If you don't have chili powder use 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 teaspoons smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. If you can't find chickpea panko you can substitute almond flour, or if you don't need it to be gluten-free just use regular panko or breadcrumbs.

    Preparation

    1.

    Preheat oven to 400 F.

    2.

    Poke a few holes in sweet potatoes, then wrap in foil. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until soft. Once complete, unwrap them and place in the fridge/freezer to quickly cool down to at least room temperature. Once cool remove the potato skins and discard. Place the flesh in a bowl and mash gently.

    3.

    Slice the salmon filet into 2 pieces, one should be about 25% of the whole piece and the other 75%. For the 75% portion, finely chop and mince the salmon using the sharp knife. Chop until it's sticky. For the remaining 25%, chop it into small chunks about 1/4-inch in size.

    4.

    Add the salmon to the bowl with the mashed sweet potatoes, along with the remaining ingredients (except the oil). Mix well. If the mixture is too wet and not firm enough to stick together, add tablespoons of chickpea panko until it gets firm.

    5.

    Scoop out oversized golf ball size balls of the mixture, roll into balls and then gently flatten to create patties. Repeat. For best results, let the patties rest in the fridge for about 20 minutes to firm up.

    6.

    Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add avocado oil and then add the individual patties and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes each, then place on a cooling rack once finished.