- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably hellmann's
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 cup finely flaked poached fresh salmon or canned salmon, skin and bones removed
- 1 cup heavy cream
Soften the gelatin in the cold water in a large mixing bowl.
Stir in the boiling water and whisk the mixture slowly until the gelatin dissolves.
Cool to room temperature.2.
Whisk in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, grated onion, Tabasco, paprika, salt, and dill.
Stir to blend completely and refrigerate until the mixture begins to thicken slightly, about 20 minutes.3.
Fold in the finely flaked salmon.
In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it is thickened to soft peaks and fluffy.
Fold gently into the salmon mixture.4.
Transfer the mixture to a 6- to 8-cup bowl or decorative mold.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.5.
Garnish with watercress, and serve with toasts, pumpernickel, or crackers.
Note: Use the accumulated juices from the jelly-roll pan to enrich soups or sauces.