- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion or shallot
- 1 pinch sugar
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 slices country bread, toasted
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted and sliced
- Two 6- to 8-ounce cooked salmon filets
- Fresh lime juice, as needed
- Flaky sea salt, as needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
This is how you can turn avocado toast into a meal – by adding cooked, flaked salmon [**LINK Roasted Salmon with Lime and Fennel LINK**]. The quick-pickled onion, ready in minutes, adds a bright fresh flavor and a little bit of crunch.
Technique tip: Assemble right before serving or the crostini will get soggy. Swap option: You can substitute any soft leafy herb (such as basil, cilantro or dill) for the mint.
In a medium bowl, stir together red onion, sugar, a pinch of salt and vinegar. Let it at least 10 minutes, while you prepare crostini.2.
Arrange 1 slice of bread on a serving plate and drizzle wit olive oil. Scoop out half an avocado and spread slices on the bread, mashing a little. Sprinkle with salt to taste.3.
Flake half of a salmon filet with a fork, then transfer on top of avocado. Drizzle with more oil, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Top with a quarter of the pickled red onions. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, and top with 1/2 tablespoon mint.4.
Repeat with remaining bread and toppings. Serve immediately.