- 2 boneless salmon fillets, 8 ounces each, skin removed (either Alaskan king salmon or sockeye salmon)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Equipment: 4 ring molds
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup shaved carrots
- 1/2 cup shaved zucchini
- 1/2 cup shaved fennel
- 1/2 cup shaved seedless cucumber
- 1/4 cup shaved radishes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oranges, pith and peel removed, segmented
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pulp-free orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Perfect for a Christmas Feast of the Seven Fishes or elegant dinner party, this Salmon and Avocado Tartare has layers of salmon tartare, avocado puree and a crunchy shaved raw vegetable salad dressed with citrus vinaigrette.
For the Salmon Tartare:
Place salmon on a plate; freeze until well chilled, about 15 minutes. Chilling salmon in freezer makes it easier to dice. Thinly slice salmon lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide sheets. Cut each sheet into 1/4-inch-long strips. Cut strips crosswise into 1/4-inch cubes.
In a medium bowl, add the salmon, olive oil, lemon juice and scallion. Toss to combine; season to taste with salt and pepper.
For the Avocado Puree:
Cut avocados in half and remove pits. Scoop out avocado from the peel and place in a mixing bowl. Using a fork, roughly mash the avocado until it is a little chunky. Sprinkle with salt and lime (or lemon) juice. Add the chopped onion, cilantro, black pepper and chilies. Cover avocado with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Citrus Vinaigrette:
In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon and orange juices, garlic and parsley.
Place ring-form on a plate, fill 3/4 of the way up with Salmon Tartare, top with Avocado Puree, and Shaved Raw Vegetable Salad dressed with Citrus Vinaigrette. Remove ring and serve.