Hot s'mores fresh from the campfire are a classic. But, adding them to cool, creamy ice cream lets you enjoy the chocolate, graham and marshmallow combo with a totally different texture and temperature sensation.
- 1½ cups mini marshmallows
- 2½ cups heavy cream, cold
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1½ cups graham crackers, chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray
1. Place a 9- by 5-inch metal loaf pan in the freezer.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Tumble the mini marshmallows onto the foil and spread into a single layer with space in between. Using a kitchen torch, or a broiler set to high, toast the marshmallows. Set aside to cool completely.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream to firm peaks.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt. Fold a third of the whipped cream into this mixture to lighten it, then fold in the remaining cream until well-blended. Fold in the toasted marshmallows, graham cracker pieces and chopped chocolate. Spoon the mixture into the chilled loaf pan.
5. Chill uncovered for at least 6 hours, or overnight. The ice cream will be set and scoop-able, with the texture of soft serve.