These cupcakes have it all: crisp, crunchy, buttery crust, a moist, chocolaty cake base and a topping of golden toasted marshmallow. Top them off with an easy mini s'mores decoration for an extra cute touch!
Technique tip: Cutting the marshmallows in half exposes the sticky interior which allows you to stick them to the top of the cupcake.
Swap option: If you're in a pinch, you can use a boxed chocolate cake mix for the cupcake base. Simply follow the crust instructions as usual, pour over the cake batter, bake and decorate!
- 1⅓ cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 10 graham crackers)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 full-sheet graham crackers
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1/3 cup melted chocolate candy coating
- Black and pink edible ink markers
For the crust:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two 12-cup cupcake tins with liners.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter until combined. Scoop one tablespoon of the crust into the bottom of each cupcake liner and tamp it down with the end of rolling pin or small glass.
3. Bake the crust for 5 minutes. Let them cool in the tin for at least 10 minutes.
For the cupcakes:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
2. Add in the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla and using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed to combine. Pour in the hot coffee and mix on medium speed until just combined.
3. Pour the batter over the cooled crusts, filling the cups about three quarters of the way. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
1. Preheat the oven to broil.
2. Place the cupcakes on a baking sheet. Cut the mini marshmallows in half, and arrange the halves, cut-side down, on top of each cupcake to cover the surface. Broil until the marshmallows are toasted, 15-20 seconds. Keep a close eye on them, as they can burn easily, and immediately remove the baking sheet from the broiler.
3. Using a serrated knife, cut each full-sheet graham cracker into 1- by 1¼-inch rectangles.
4. Using the black and pink edible ink markers, draw faces onto the sides of the large marshmallows.
5. Dip the bottom of the marshmallow into the chocolate candy melts and place it on top of a graham cracker square. Using a small spoon, dollop about 1/4 teaspoon of the chocolate candy coating on top of each marshmallow and spread it so the chocolate is dripping down the sides. Sandwich another graham cracker square on top and let set. Let them set completely, about 10 minutes.
6. Using a dab of melted chocolate candy coating, place one graham cracker topper on each cupcake.