- 3 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, diced
- Two 16-ounce cans pork and beans
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) root beer
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) hickory-smoked barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 1-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Crumble the bacon.
3. Sauté the diced onion in the hot bacon drippings in skillet over high 5 minutes or until tender. Stir together the onion, crumbled bacon, beans and remaining ingredients in prepared baking dish.
4. Bake the beans, uncovered, for 55 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
Recipe courtesy of The South's Best Butts: Pitmaster Secrets for Southern Barbecue Perfection.