Girl Code and rocky road: Desserts and basic girl code rules. You shall always bring brownies to girls' night. This is crucial. You cannot show up to girls' night empty handed. Do the right thing and bring a batch of these rocky road brownies.
- Nonstick cooking spray or vegetable oil, for greasing the pan
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1¼ cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
3. In a mixing bowl, stir together the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and almonds. Set aside.
4. Put the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute, until melted. (Alternately, you may melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until melted, and then transfer to a large mixing bowl.)
5. Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla to the melted butter, and whisk until completely incorporated.
6. Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, until completely incorporated.
7. Pour the batter into the greased baking pan.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, then sprinkle the chocolate chip mixture over the top of the brownies.
9. Return the brownies to the oven for an additional 8-9 minutes, until marshmallows have softened and puffed slightly.
10. Let the brownies cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
11. Cut the brownies into 16 squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
Reprinted with permission from "Young & Hungry: Your Complete Guide to a Delicious Life."