I love the combination of tomatoes and strawberries. A fruit salad masquerading as a fun summer side dish? Sign me up! You can roast the tomatoes in advance and assemble the dish just before serving. I like strawberries that are slightly under ripe for this so the "green" favor note of strawberries compliments the sweetness of the tomatoes.
- 6 ripe Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 sprigs fresh tarragon, stems off, chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Prepare the tomatoes: Place the tomato halves in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, salt, red pepper flakes and olive oil. Drizzle the mixture evenly over the tomato halves. Place the tray in the oven and cook, undisturbed, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the tomatoes are tender. Remove from the oven. Allow them to cool at least 30 minutes. Top with the tarragon and drizzle with the vinegar. Arrange the tomatoes halves on a serving platter and top with the strawberry slices.