Roasted root vegetables make for a hearty and delicious vegetarian take on classic soft tacos. Here I use sweet potatoes, carrots and beets, but feel free to swap in your favorites. Smoky spices like cumin, paprika and chili powder play against a cool and tangy goat cheese cream for tons of flavor that will satisfy even the most die-hard meat eater. The spice level is low in this recipe to keep it family-friendly, but serve along with your favorite hot sauce if you crave an extra kick.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, diced into ½-inch cubes (do not peel)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 2 beets, peeled and diced into ½-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika, preferably smoked Spanish paprika
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
Goat Cheese Cream
- 4 ounces goat cheese (such as Montchevre Cranberry Cinnamon Goat Cheese), softened
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (you may substitute mayonnaise or sour cream)
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- Fresh lime wedges
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a large mixing bowl, combine diced sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, onions and garlic. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Add the spices, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Divide sweet veggies into a single layer on two roasting pans, and roast 25-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are slightly crisped and beets and carrots are tender.
2. While the vegetables cook, prepare the goat cheese cream by whisking together goat cheese, yogurt, lime juice, lime zest and cumin.
3. To serve, warm tortillas for 30 seconds on each side on an oiled skillet or directly over a gas flame, then spread with goat cheese cream. Top with roasted veggies and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with hot sauce and lime wedges on the side.