This dish is a winter favorite of mine! I can't resist the flavor combo of juicy beets with zesty citrus and nutty pistachios.
- 4 bunches baby Chioggia beets (leaves removed and saved, beets washed in cold water, unpeeled)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 blood oranges, segmented and set aside in its own juices
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- 1 small piece (2 ounces) ricotta salata, finely grated
- 12 pieces arugula or bitter greens
For the salt roasted beets:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cleaned beets in a bowl and toss with olive oil and salt.
2. Cover in foil and bake for 45 minutes to one hour, remove when tender with the tip of a knife.
3. Let cool to room temperature, shake off the salt and transfer to a mixing bowl.
4. Using a paper towel, peel the skin away from the beet and set the clean beets into a mixing bowl.
5. Depending on the size of the beets, leave whole or cut in half. Add the sherry vinegar and olive oil to the beets and let marinate until ready to serve.
Place the marinated beets in a serving dish and place the blood orange pieces over the beets.
Sprinkle with chopped pistachios and grated ricotta salata. Finish with the arugula leaves and serve.