- 1 whole chicken
- 6 small yukon gold potatoes (cut in half)
- 6 whole shallots (peeled)
- 2 carrots (peeled, and cut on the bias)
- 2 head escarole (rinsed, and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces)
- 4 sprig thyme
- 4 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig onion (cut in half)
- 2 clove garlic
- 1/2 clove lemon (cut in half)
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat dry.
Generously sprinkle salt and pepper inside the cavity and then add the thyme, rosemary, garlic, onion and lemon.
Once herbs are inside cavity, truss the chicken.
Place the chicken in a roasting pan and rub olive oil over the skin.
Season with salt and pepper, then place in the oven for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes take the chicken out and add the potatoes, carrots and shallots to the pan.
Roast for another 45 minutes until the juices run clear.
Remove from the oven and let rest on a carving board for about 10 minutes.
While the chicken is resting, remove the vegetables from the pan and drain most of the chicken fat.
On medium heat, add the escarole and sauté until wilted halfway.
Combine Dijon mustard, vegetables and escarole into serving dish.
Carve chicken, place on top and serve.