There is no dish as nostalgic and iconic for me as a good roast chicken. Add mushrooms and you have one of my all time favorites. I always roast two chickens so I have extra leftover for meal prep for the following week.
- 2 whole chickens
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2 tablespoons Herbes de Provence
- 6 cups mixed wild mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. With butcher's twine, truss the legs together of each of the two chickens.
3. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and Herbes de Provence on all sides, then place on a roasting pan fitted with a rack.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine mushrooms, olive oil, vinegar and garlic, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Distribute the mushroom mixture around the chicken.
5. Roast the chicken in the oven for 45-60 minutes (depending upon size of the chicken) until the inside of the thigh joint reads 155°F on a meat thermometer.